Friday, February 19, 2010

public transportation


ok, so i actually spend about 3 hours a day on public transportation. it's just another place for me to study, but i am constantly reminded that other peoples lives are very different from my own. i have interesting experiences almost daily. here are a few:

one of my bus drivers must have been a gymnast in his younger years. he is about 65 years old, and everyday, before the bus leaves, he starts hanging from the hand bars on the ceiling. after a minute, he'll slowly rotate around until he's upside down. then he'll slowly rotate one way, and then back the other way, do a full dismount, and then sit in his chair and we drive away. he doesn't even crack a smile.

one guy pulled out a fiddle and played three songs.

a drunk guy, last night, got mad at me because i wouldn't go hunt sasquatch with him

there is a guy from africa, who just sits on his cell phone and laughs for an hour straight. every time i see him.

there is a massive guy who smells funny, who is always on my bus. one day his coat touched my lip. i dry heaved and spent the next 45 minutes on the bus with my lips stuck out until i could wash them.

i noticed a guy get on and asked myself why someone would dress the way he does. really awkward. so i kept my eye on this guy, and saw him watching a girl across the way from him. after about 5 minutes, he proceeded to pull out his cell phone and inconspicuously (so he thought), take pictures of the girl so he could take them home with him and put in his serial killer scrapbook.

a guy got on with this funky bike that has a hinge on it so that it can fold in half for storage. he was so proud of it and kept talking to this guy about it. instead of just keeping it on two wheels, he insisted on taking advantage of the folding mechanism, which results in it only resting on one wheel. he couldn't balance it and it kept falling over. finally he got to his stop, but couldn't get his stupid bike hinged back up and ended up missing his stop.

there are countless others, in addition to the standard drunks, stoners, shower-o-phobes, hot and heavy teenage couples, people who don't understand personal space, people who don't understand that other people don't want to hear their loud conversations about their favorite dish at chuck-o-rama, and all the other colors of the rainbow that i see on a daily basis. i'll keep you updated.

1 comment:

  1. that's interesting, Matt. I must say, you are getting your share of wierd experiences for your "scrapbook of memories." I'm so glad you're doing this blog. I wish I'd have journaled the experiences I could have when I was traveling the world. As you know, now my memory is pretty shot, but you are inspiring me to go back and put down some thoughts about things I still do remember. Dad

    ReplyDelete